The history of the world famous enterprise started 1865 in Salzburg. At this time the eldest son of the family, Joseph Holzermayr, worked as an apprentice at the Lippsch Gingerbread and Wax Workshop, in one of the three little stores of the so called Grandegger House. Obviously the city seemed too small for our young Joseph, and after his years of apprenticeship and travel he acquired a property in Werfen, which produced confectionaries and ginger biscuits.
From now on the diligent businessman was seen at every religious festivity and farmers market with his delicious confectionary specialities. Only a short time later Holzermayr became the personal Purveyor for his Majestic Dignity of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. With an ordinary pushcart filled with all sorts of delicacies he went along the paths straight up to Castle Hohen Werfen.
"Chocolate for Indulgence" - true to this philosophy Joseph Holzermayr opened a little store on the Old Market 7 in Salzburg city in 1913, which was taken over by his son Rudolph in the same year. Besides the rarity cocoa and cakes he also served the hand rolled speciality "Echte Salzburger Mozartkugel" in small quantities. The core of this little delicacy is made from finest nougat and is surrounded by pistachio marzipan and dark chocolate. The Salzburg speciality was wrapped into silver foil to achieve better longivity.
The Holzermayr company enjoyed increasing popularity, not only among the population of Salzburg. Soon after the company supported specialized dealers from Mondsee to Gastein, from the Styrian Enns-Vally to Lofer and from Bad Ischl to Zell am See.
Around 1965, 100 years after the company was established, the Josef Holzermayr Confectionary was honoured by the chamber of commerce to mark it's century jubileum. In the meanwhile the speciality "Echte Salzburger Mozartkugel" also enjoyed a good reputation among international connoisseurs. The asortement of the company already covered sweets, candies, shortcakes, chocolates and even pastries.
The hallmark of our company is the varied assortment, the high quality of the products and last but not least the perfected "Echte Salzburger Mozartkugel", unchanged from our original recipe dating back to 1890, reflecting the international image of our small but good company in Salzburg.
The Josef Holzermayr Confectionary on the Old Market / Alter Markt 7 has been in the family for four generations and is now under the direction of Mrs. Gabriele Truschner-Rossmann. The cosy store approches it's 140 years jubileum, and also will still spoil it's customers with treats of finest confectionary in the years to come.
We do our best to fulfill our customers desires, and try to assure that we remain in sweet memory. Also our gift wrapping possibilities leave nothing to be desired! Furthermore we are certain to be able to offer the appropriate presents to sweeten your business events in a tasteful manner.
Copyright Firma Josef Holzermayr - Rechte vorbehalten